Saturday, October 7, 2017

Census2Ged 2.0


Great news! I have now made another release of my original program Census2Ged. It now works with the 1880, 1900, and 1910 U.S. Censuses. You may recall my original post about it here, I won't repeat everything that's already in it for the sake of brevity, but I will include a link to GenScriber, the program you need to use for your transcriptions in order for them to work properly with my program. It is the most fully featured transcription tool I know of, and you certainly won't be disappointed with it.


RootsTech 2018

I would really love for Census2Ged to be featured in the innovation showcase at RootsTech 2018. So, if you like Census2Ged I would really appreciate it if you submitted a nomination here: https://www.rootstech.org/innovation-at-rootstech-2018.

Whats New

So what all is new in this release? Aside from adding the new censuses:

  •  I fixed some bugs that were causing some errors in certain gedcom uploads where the family number would not change.
  •  I made it not include the surnames of anybody with the relationship 'wife' or 'mother', that way it is more clear that this is not the maiden name.
  • I also made people with non-integer birth years default to being age zero in whatever year the census was taken. I realized that a lot of the time children who were born in the census years had their ages documented as fractions or as the number of months so this would probably be a good feature to add.

Code

I also made the code for Census2Ged freely available for anyone interested. You can see it on my GitHub here: https://github.com/xXReneeXx/Census2Ged

Support

If you find this tool useful then I certainly would not mind if you donate a few dollars to my paypal account. It motivates me to keep developing more tools and since I will be starting college in 2019 I will need every dollar I can get!

Or leave me a comment telling me how its helped you or any suggestions/feedback. I'm always looking to improve my tools!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not at the moment, but maybe in future updates. It currently works with the 1880, 1900, and 1910 U.S. Censuses

      Delete