Sunday, October 29, 2017

Wesselowski Family Postcards

Thanks to my first cousin 1x removed, Sonya Wesselowski, I have some postcards and photographs of Kurt Wesselowski and James Wesselowski, both of whom were soldiers during WW1, and several of the photos have them in uniform. They were the children of Martin Wesselowski and lived in Germany. You can see them below:

James Wesselowski Postcards

Photo of James Wesselowski

The back of this postcard says:
James Wesselowski postcard back 2: 
Field (military) postal service: 
Sender: Fis. J. Wesselowski, II Recruit Depot, 9.II.86 Regiment, 
11 Korporalrek. Hadersleben (Silesia) 4.7.1915, 11-12 a.m. 
To: Mr. Dr. J. Wesselowski, Jewell City (Kansas) U.S.A. , America 
Hadersleben, 4 July 1915, 
Dear Uncle, By now you will have heard from my parents that I have become a soldier. On the other side is my picture. You have me nothing ????????? ??????. 
Everything is fine with me here. The soldier's life has been pretty good to me. Your relatives send greetings. Your nephew, James.

James Wesselowski
The back of this postcard says:
"United States of America, Mr. Dr. Julius Wesselowski, Jewell, Kansas, postbox 347 
Hamburg, 30th October, 1921. 
Dear Uncle, 
I hope you and all the yours are well. Herewith I send you my photographic taken off a few days ago. I am with the best greetings for you and your wife and children. Your nephew, James Wesselowski." 
(Note that he wrote in English, but his grammar was influenced by German.) 

Kurt Wesselowski Postcards

Photo of Kurt Wesselowski
The back of the postcard says:
Kurt Wesselowski uniform foto: 
"Your nephew sends you many greetings. Kurt Wesselowski. 
My dear uncle, (taken?) in the war year, 1914-1916." 

Photograph of Kurt Wesselowski and his wife Emmy Strassburger
Back of the postcard says:
"My dear uncle, Julius & wife, from his nephew & bride, Kurt & Emmy Wesselowski.
Hamburg, 6 September 1935." 

2 comments: