Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Transcription Tuesdays: Obituary of Anna Katharina Sipple

Since I transcribe so many articles and other documents, I thought it might be fun if every Tuesday I post some of these. This is the obituary of Anna Katharina Sipple (sometimes also written as 'Sepple' or 'Sippel'. I am currently saving up the money I need to extend her line, as I know since she was baptized in the German Lutheran Church in Hesse, her records are probably digitized online here.

Anna was my 4th great grandmother through my Schmidt family.She was the daughter of Wilhelm Sipple (born the 25th of November, 1811 in Whemar, Hessen-Kassel, Germany) and Dortha (born abt. 1800 somewhere in Prussia).
A picture showing the full contents of the page. The relevant section is transcribed below.
The full Newspaper Page on which Anna's obituary appears


Mrs. Anna Toenges

Mrs. Anna Kathrena Toenges was born June 26, 1842, in Hessen, Germany, where she was baptized in the German Lutheran Church.
At the age of 12 in the year 1854 she sailed to this country with her parents and sisters. They landed in New York and then went directly to Cook County, Ill. There her folks bought a farm.
She was sent to the German Lutheran church and was confirmed.
On May 25, 1862, she was united in marriage to Peter Toenges. The union was blessed with seven children, four boys, and three girls. One son died eight years ago.
They purchased a farm in Cook County, Ill., where they lived eight years. Her parents lived with them. After having sold their farm they went to Kansas and Nebraska in search of a new home, but not being satisfied with the country they returned and removed with her father and family to Minnesota and stayed a short time with her brother-in-law, Mr. Gotzke. Still dissatisfied they returned home to Iowa in search of a new home; but again returned to Minnesota and finally settled on the well-known Toenges farm, two and one-half miles north of Armstrong.
In 1905 they moved to Albert Lea and stayed six years. On account of her husband’s health they returned to their home and stayed with her son John. There her husband died April 28, 1922.
After her husband’s death her health failed and on Sept. 18, 1923, she fell and broke her leg so that she had to be taken to the Naeve hospital at Albert Lea where she was under the doctor’s care for two months. She was then moved to her old home recovering again so that she was able to walk when helped.
July 25, 1925, she fell again, this time hurting the other leg, making it impossible to use her limbs.
On December 30 of the same year her health failed her more and developed heart disease which caused her death on Wednesday morning, Aug. 18 1926, at 6:30 o’clock at the age of 84 years, 1 month and 22 days.
The deceased was a good wife, a kind mother, a good-natured friend and neighbor, a faithful Christian, and one of the oldest members of the German Lutheran church of Pickerel Lake.
She is survived by her six children, twenty-five grandchildren and thirty great grandchildren; William Toenges and Mrs. Henry Abbe of Alden township. Fred and John on the home place in Manchester township, William Pestorious of Pickerel Lake, and Mrs. Charles Baker of California.

The funeral took place at the German Lutheran church, Rev. H. F. Pheffer officiating. 

6 comments:

  1. My grandpa Kuethe's mother married a Pestorious after her first husband died. My grandpa Kuethe who is my mom's dad had a farm less than a mile east of Armstrong. My brother lived on the farm for many years while my grandpa had his own little apartment upstairs at the house where my mom was born. I live in Lake County, IL which is just north of Cook County, IL. Keep up the great work and keep up with your. school work. My family went to Concordia Lutheran Church of Pickeral Lake for many years. It has a lot of history and I have been there many times. Craig Hacker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Illinois is definitely on my bucket list of places to go. Nearly every branch of my family was there at some point; my Gustafson family went to Rock Island illinois to go to the Augustana Theological Seminary, my Williams family lived in Rushville, and of course the Toenges family lived in Cook County. That and Minnesota since I have never been there either.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention that I was born in Naeve Hospital, Albert Lea, MN. in 1961. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I believe my grandpa Ken was also born in Naeve in 1939. I'll have to ask him the next time I see him!

      Delete
  3. I am sure you probably know that the German Lutheran church is now called Concordia Lutheran Church of Pickeral Lake. I believe in 2016 they celebrated 150 years as a church in its 3rd building. Is there a way to attach photos when commenting? I have a picture of the church and who knows maybe others of different family members when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! this site: https://imgur.com/ allows you to post images to it and link to them. So you can post links. The default is that only people with the link can see the photo you uploaded.

      Delete